Creighton University, 1980:
Bachelor of Arts, History
Creighton University School of Law, 1983: Doctor of Jurisprudence
Mr. Merriman joined the firm in 2022. His background has included litigation defense work in practice areas such as construction defect, general and commercial liability, and occasional real estate matters, as well as bad faith some years ago. Mr. Merriman has benefited from knowing some big-firm refugees, although he has only occasionally worked in big firms. He has been fortunate enough to obtain particularly good results for his clients in recent years, occasionally detecting problematic activity on the part of his adversaries which is of interest to law enforcement.
- Engineer on assignment for insurer in multi-continent construction defect action (prevailed on MSJ).
- Institution in highly sensitive multi-state action (settled, but settlement payment continues to be delayed years later amid questions about certain governmental activity relating to adversaries).
- Country club in wrongful death action where key issue became real estate transfer obligations (settled before hearing on MSJ).
- Jewelry store in robbery/assault action with issues surrounding not only the duty to provide security, but the nature of the claimed robbery (prevailed on MSJ).
- Subcontractor in major construction defect action where key document withheld until just before trial (no indemnity money paid out).
- Insurer (demurrer on jurisdictional grounds).
- Insurance entities (3-year dismissals of actions; affirmed on appeal).
Professional Associations and Memberships:
The State Bar of California