State of California, all Superior Courts and Appellate Courts
United States District Court, Northern District of California
United States District Court & Bankruptcy Courts, Eastern District of California
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Santa Clara University School of Law,
Doctor of Jurisprudence, 1992
National Trial Team
Bachelor of Arts, 1989
Major: Political Science
Mr. Shuey joined Rankin, Sproat, Mires, Reynolds, Shuey & Mintz in 1992 and became a shareholder in 2001. Mr. Shuey concentrates his practice in insurance defense litigation. His practice areas include counseling and representing medical professionals and entities in both malpractice actions and administrative proceedings, construction defect and injury matters, other professional negligence (legal, architectural, engineering, broker), government entity defense, products liability, toxic tort defense and general trial practice. Mr. Shuey’s professional liability practice includes the defense of malpractice and administrative claims against a variety of professionals including physicians, nurses, other health care providers, hospitals and other health care facilities, attorneys, construction design professionals, insurance agents and real estate professionals. He has represented developers, general contractors and specialty subcontractors in all aspects of commercial and residential construction related litigation, including construction defects, catastrophic injury, contract disputes, delay claims and subrogation actions. Mr. Shuey has represented government entities in state and federal litigation, including police misconduct and civil rights issues. He gained significant trial experience representing defendants in, among others, asbestos and toxic tort litigation.
In addition to his over 27 years of litigation on behalf of his clients, Mr. Shuey served 16 years as a City Councilmember and three time Mayor of his hometown of Clayton, California since 2002. Mr. Shuey believes this experience has significantly helped him understand and address the needs of his clients in litigation.
In addition to his city service, Mr. Shuey served as Founder and as member of Steering Committee of the successful conversion of Clayton Valley High School to a charter school in 2011. He is an active member of his city’s local chamber of commerce and charitable organization. He has been a manager, coach and Board Member for his children’s baseball, basketball and soccer programs for over 16 years.
Mr. Shuey and his wife Shelly have two natural children and three adopted children (two from China and one from Ukraine).
- Nationally known vascular surgeon sued for malpractice over thoracic outlet surgery on minor. Tried to defense verdict in Santa Clara County.
- Large Commercial General Contractor defendant in construction defect action based on building of large upscale hotel in Sacramento, California.
Claimed damages of over $27,000,000 settled for $13,000,000 with NO liability payment on behalf of General Contractor.
- Surgeon defendant in medical malpractice action alleging negligent malpractice during surgery causing permanent loss of use of legs. Tried to defense verdict in Alameda County.
- Large Commercial General Contractor defendant in catastrophic construction injury case (one wrongful death, two catastrophic injuries including permanent brain injury and disability). Successfully resolved to client’s satisfaction.
- Large San Francisco Hospital defendant in lung cancer asbestos/toxic tort matter claiming premises liability. Tried to defense verdict following four-month trial.
- Large Lumber Company defendant in Humboldt County matter alleging forest logging operations causing flooding to 60 downstream residents. Demand of $65,000,000 settled for $3,000,000 with $700,000 paid on behalf of client to their satisfaction.
- Large East Bay Hospital defendant mesothelioma asbestos/toxic tort matter claiming premises liability. Trial Demand of $7,000,000 to $11,000,000 resolved for $20,000 following four month trial and hung jury.
- Large multi-national building products manufacturer in significant and numerous multi-million construction and product defect litigation throughout California. Successfully defended product and proved to industry that product was not defective resulting in no more lawsuits and a very happy client.
- Numerous general and sub-contractor defendants in construction defect litigation throughout Bay Area and Sacramento Area.
- Large East Bay City defendant in numerous federal 1983 civil rights actions.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
The State Bar of California
Alameda County Bar Association
Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California