State of California, all Superior Courts and Appellate Courts
United States District Court, Northern District of California
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
University of California, Hastings College of the Law,
Doctor of Jurisprudence, 1981
University of California, Berkeley
Bachelor of Arts, 1978
Major: Political Science, with honors
Ms. Ungerer began practicing with Rankin, Sproat, Mires, Reynolds, Shuey, and Mintz in 2001 after 20 years of litigation experience in San Francisco. A Martindale A-V rated attorney, she is best known for her defense of physicians and attorneys, and she has also had extensive experience representing blood banks and medical products manufacturers. Ms. Ungerer has participated in numerous appellate matters including discovery writ applications and post-judgment appeals.
- Defense of physicians, oral surgeons, and other health care providers in medical professional negligence actions, including cardiac, cancer, pediatric intensive care, surgery, infectious disease and other medical issues.
- Defense of attorneys where the underlying actions involved personal injury, medical malpractice, medical products liability and other actions.
- Defense of numerous treating physicians in Coordinated Diet Drugs Litigation before Judge Pratt in Los Angeles.
- Defense of California blood banks in cases involving patients who contracted Hepatitis and AIDS from blood transfusions, assisting at the trial court level and through successful appeals.
- Defense of American Association of Blood Banks for its standards-setting activities.
- Defense of manufacturers of pharmaceutical products in Multi-District Litigation, including defense of Bayer’s hemophilia medication, Koate, and defense of Cutter Laboratories’ heart valves. She has also handled management of large document productions, and briefing of complex issues, such as class certification.
- Participated in numerous appeals, including the following reported cases: Hyland Therapeutics v. Superior Court, 175 Cal. App.3d 509, (1985); Williams v. Coombs, 179 Cal. App.3d 626, (1986); McKee v. Cutter Laboratories Inc., 866 F.2d219 (6th Cir., 1989); Coe v. Superior Court, 220 Cal. App.3d 48,(1990); Jackson v. Deft Inc., 223 Cal. App.3d 1305, (1990); Irwin Memorial Blood Centers v. Superior Court, 229 Cal. App.3d 151, (1991); Osborn v. Irwin Memorial Blood Bank, 5 Cal. App. 4th 234, (1992); N.N.V. v. American Association of Blood Banks, 75 Cal.App.4th 1358, (1999).
Professional Associations and Memberships:
California Bar Association
Alameda County Bar Association
Invited speaker for meetings of the American Association of Blood Banks, the California Blood Society, and at Blood Centers of the Pacific.