United States District Court, Northern District of California
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States Supreme Court
San Francisco Law Sschool,
Doctor of Jurisprudence, 1981
California State University, Sonoma
Bachelor of Arts, 1977
Major: Political Science
Mr. Reynolds joined Rankin, Sproat, Mires, Reynolds, Shuey & Mintz in 1999 as a shareholder. His career spans over 35 years of trial experience, defending clients in significant civil litigation. He routinely counsels and represents individuals, corporations, business owners, developers, general contractors, subcontractors, public entities, recreation companies, insurance companies, property owners, entertainment venues, transportation companies, product manufacturers, real estate professionals and legal professionals. He represents such clients in both civil actions and administrative proceedings, involving a wide range of legal actions, including matters involving catastrophic bodily injuries, wrongful death, construction site injuries, product defects, large-scale construction defect actions, dangerous condition of public property claims, employment and civil rights claims, business litigation, toxic tort defense, equitable subrogation and general civil defense work. In addition, he also advises clients on a broad spectrum of legal issues related to insurance, indemnification, business transactions, employment issues, contracts, real estate transactions and risk management. He has represented clients in both state and federal courts throughout California, handling all aspects of litigation from inception through trial and post-trial appeals.
Mr. Reynolds is an active volunteer with Alameda County Superior Court, having served as a Judge Pro Tem for purposes of conducting day-of-trial settlement conferences. He has also served for many years as a court appointed arbitrator. He is also active in the Alameda County Bar Association, including serving as the Chairman of the Trial Practice section’s Executive Committee.
- Public entity defendant in wrongful death action based on alleged dangerous condition of interstate highway resulting in fatal accident, Contra Costa County Superior Court (tried to defense verdict).
- Insurance company defendant and cross-complainant in an equitable subrogation action based on fatal construction site accident and claim for contractual indemnification, Alameda County Superior Court (tried to defense verdict on claims asserted against client and obtained $3.7 million verdict for client on cross-complaint).
- Entertainment venue defendant in civil rights action based on alleged assault and battery by security staff, with claims of significant bodily injury and post-traumatic stress disorder (including claim for punitive damage), Sacramento County Superior Court (tried to defense verdict). - General contractor and insurance company defendants in an equitable subrogation (indemnification) and insurance bad faith action based on fatal hydrocracker explosion and fire at oil refinery, seeking multi-million dollar recovery, United States District Court, Northern District of California (tried to defense verdict).
- General contractor in personal injury action based on alleged dangerous condition of construction site resulting in serious bodily injuries and significant wage loss, City and County of San Francisco Superior Court (tried to defense verdict).
- Product manufacturer in personal injury action based on alleged defectively designed hand truck, resulting in serious bodily injury and significant wage loss, City and County of San Francisco Superior Court (tried to defense verdict).
- Recreational in-door climbing gym company in personal injury action based on dangerous condition of facilities resulting in serious bodily injury, City and County of San Francisco Superior Court (obtained Summary Judgment, which was affirmed by Court of Appeal).
Professional Associations and Memberships:
State Bar of California
American Board of Trial Advocates (“ABOTA”)
Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
California Bar Association
Alameda County Bar Association
San Francisco Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Arbitrator and Mediator, Alameda County